Getting Started: A Quick Guide to Homiletics Online
Welcome! Homiletics Online is an easy tool that allows you to read and search through sermon preparation material with ease. You have access to the most recent material as well as our entire library of Articles, Commentary, Illustrations, Children's Sermons, and more!
Everything starts on the Home page.
In the top red bar:
- Contact Us pops up a window so you can send an email to Account Maintenance, Technical Support, Editors, or Management.
- Help opens our help library in a new browser tab. The answers to most questions are here.
- Logout, of course, logs you out of the website.
In the orange navigation bar:
- The Homiletics Online logo will always bring you back to the Home Page, no matter where you are within the site.
- Issues takes you to every bi-monthly issue we've published since January 1991.
- Sermon Treatments displays every individual sermon installment going back to 1991.
- Commentary provides cultural, historical, and contextual meaning of the weekly readings.
- Illustrations offers thousands of anecdotes, quotations, and references that you can work into your sermons.
- Children's Sermons opens our collection of stories that can help you reach the smallest members of your congregation.
- Worship Resources has thousands of Calls to Worship, Invocations, Litanies, Pastoral Prayers, Benedictions, and more that you can use in your worship service.
- Topics is an alphabetical list of topics and themes that our Sermon Treatments have addressed.
- Blog contains essays, articles, and columns written by our editors and other contributors.
The Search window:
- Select a category and search the entire library to find just what you need from that chosen group.
Search keyword, topic, or Scripture.
Filtering your search.
Explore this powerful search tool to see just what's available to you as a member.
Searching the topics lists.
- Select the round button or click the plus (+) sign.
- All the available Scriptures for that book are displayed.
- Select the Scripture you want and all available readings are displayed in the page's main column.
As you can see, there are many ways to find the material you need to produce a first-class sermon and worship experience. The more you work with the tools, the more proficient you'll become at using the website.
Use the reader view or print view.
When you want to go back to the site to search more, you can click the Turn Off Reader View link in the upper right.
Anytime you are viewing a page where you only see one type of content (such as commentary or worship resources), the page is printer-friendly. You can use your mouse to right-click and choose "print" or you can choose print from your browser's print menu.
View an entire issue.
If you'd like to read an entire bi-monthly issue, go to the Issues tab in the Header.
Click on an image or the "Read Issue" link and you will go to a page that includes all of the text to an entire issue.
You will then see the entire issue on the page. You can jump to a specific weekly installment using the Table of Contents.
You can also turn on the Reader View if you like a cleaner reading experience. Or in the upper right, you can Choose Another Issue.